Sunday, July 17, 2016

BookTube-A-Thon TBR!

How lame am I for not having uploaded a video about this, right?

Pretty lame. HOWEVER, I think I have a pretty good excuse considering my apartment is in shambles right now. And that's not to say I didn't try. I did, but the end result was something that I just wasn't proud of, so I decided to make this post, because I still very much want to be apart of the fantabulousness that is BookTube-A-Thon 2016!

(If you have no clue what I'm talking about, please allow yourself to be directed to Ariel Bissett's lovely video explaining everything here.)

There are seven challenges I'm hoping to complete, although realistically reading a book a day might not go over so well. Or maybe it will. I'm hoping to vlog my progress, just be prepared for some craziness because... well... you'll see when the time comes.

So. Without further adieu.... Here's my Summer BookTube-A-Thon 2016 TBR!


Okay. My partial TBR because a few of the books will be read on my kindle.

CHALLENGE #1 - Read a book with yellow on the cover.



For this, I'm starting off fairly simply with a graphic novel.

I Hate Fairyland by Skottie Young was sold to me as a sort of Alice in Wonderland meets Deadpool way. It's supposedly about a woman trapped in a six year old's body which, I think it's a side effect of being in Fairyland. You stop aging and in Gert's case (the aforementioned woman) she's been trying to escape for almost thirty years. I don't even want to think about how awful it would be to be 6 years old for that long. By the look of the cover, it doesn't look like it's going too well for her either.

But this book clearly has yellow on it in the form of Gert's bow, the mushroom caps and the turtles shell.

So one down coming in at 128 pages. That's more than doable!



CHALLENGE #2 - Read a book only after sunset. 

I'm going to be honest with you. This one is probably going to be a fail. Or maybe not. Maybe I can somehow restrain from reading a certain book after 9-10pm. Maybe, but probably not.

I will be trying to read The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers which I've heard is a very literary science fiction novel. Character driven stories are among some of my favorites and that's what this is looking like to me so bring on the scifi! With 404 pages!

Challenge #3 - Read a book you discovered through BookTube.
./
I shall be listening to an audiobook for this one! I was pretty much pursing audible one might listening to some samples when I saw Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. Pretty much everyone and their brother who has read this is in love it it. It also has some LGBTQIA themes, which I have been wanting to read more books like that so I thought, "What the heck?" and gave my ears a little listen.

And who do I hear? Whose voice has been my near constant companion for the past 8 months?

Lin-Manuel Miranda.

So obviously I used a credit. I'm sure that having Mr. Miranda read it to me will make this book all the more enjoyable considering I'm about 99.9% positive I'm going to enjoy it anyways. I'm trying not to let my expectations be too high, but, I'm not too worried.

And the page count is 359. In case you were wondering.

Challenge #4 - Read a book by one of your favorite authors.

Well... I'm altering this a bit and I'm going to shoot for a novella.

Perfect State by Brandon Sanderson 

Do I even need an explanation? No? Good. (a very large 87 pages.)

Challenge #5 - Read a book that is older than you. 

Here's where we're getting a bit tricky. As I mentioned before, my apartment is in shambles. All my beautiful books are packed away, including my classics, which mean, I really didn't know what to pick. So I was looking through some books on my kindle and I have settled on The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling. I was definitely born before 1894, so this counts!

And also, the cool thing about The Jungle Book (besides the fact that it's 134 pages) is....

Challenge #6 - Read a book and watch it's movie adaptation. 

It has TWO movie adaptations! I want to try and watch the newest one, but if that doesn't happen, I always have good ole animated Disney to save the day.

And last but not least....

Challenge #7 - Read SEVEN books.

But... Alli! There are only five books there! How are you going to complete this challenge?

I'm so glad you asked fellow human who can count! I am planning on also reading:

How to Ruin Everything: Essays by George Watsky

and 

Alcatraz Verses the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

And if I can somehow finish all seven of these books, I will have completed BookTube-a-Thon with having read a total of... 1,530 pages!

At least that's the goal. Can I do it? I guess we'll find out. 

---

P.S. Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb is also pictured up above and that's because I'm STILL reading it for the Hobb-a-Long Read-a-Long. Still. I'm so behind. But it's there because on the off chance I can keep up with said above challenges, you better believe that puppy is also getting read.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment